Ethiopia: Associate Project Officer Fluent in Tigrinya - Ethiopia
The UNHCR Bureau for Europe announces the following vacancy:
Associate Project Officer
To work in the context of the Eritrean and Somali segments of an EU-funded project called E-Platform: Telling the real story – Information campaign targeting Somali and Eritrean migrants (www.tellingtherealstory.org)).
The information campaign reaches out to Eritrean and Somali refugees in countries of transit and first asylum in Africa, with a view to inform them about the full scope of the perils and difficulties related to irregular onward movements to Europe and about other possibilities to find protection and durable solutions. Ultimately it should enable concerned people to take an informed decision about their plans and about possible onward movements. This campaign not only relies on traditional media (television, radio and printed material), but makes an extensive use of new, web-based media (e-platform and social media).
Under the direct supervision of the Protection Officer and overall management of the UNHCR Head of Office in Addis Ababa, the Associate Project Officer will provide reports to the Project Manager in Stockholm and colleagues in UNHCR Addis Ababa and will contribute to the efficient implementation of the campaign in Ethiopia.
The Project Associate will be responsible for the following:
· Coordinate awareness campaign activities among urban refugees in Addis Ababa as well as identified host communities
· Facilitate the dissemination of the e-platform information to urban refugees in Addis Ababa, by identifying focal points from among the refugee and host communities that can be trained and engaged, utilizing a community based approach
· Contribute to the creation of a ‘Facilitators Manual’ and train facilitators within the refugee context
· Work on informing people on regular migratory options to third countries and durable solutions in Ethiopia such as resettlement and out-of-camp policy
· Engage and coordinate with UNHCR, Partner Agencies and Administration for Refugee and Returnee Affairs (ARRA) in the implementation of the project.
· Develop messages and create campaign materials
· Contribute to social media monitoring on information related to irregular migration amongst the Eritrean and Somali community in line with UNHCR guidelines and under the supervision of the respective Heads of Office and Protection Unit Heads.
· Additional tasks as agreed by their supervisors.
· Bachelors degree social sciences, communications or in relevent field
· 2 – 4 years of relevant experience
· Demonstrate understanding and experience of campaign and public engagement
· Basic knowledge of international refugee protection and UNHCR’s mandate.
· General familiarity with the regional mixed migration dynamics in the Mediterranean region
· Background in community engagement; communication; protection and/or social work
· Familiarity with social media in the context of awareness campaigns
· Good written and oral communication
· Fluency in Tigrinya and English are essential
The Associate Project Officer will be stationed in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia.
The Consultancy contract will be issued by UNOPS, starting October 2016 up to 31 December 2016. E