Ethiopia: Internships: JaRco Consulting - Ethiopia
Company: JaRco Consulting
Location: Addis Ababa, Ethiopia with some travel to the field
Employment Type: Internship – full time, paid
Duration: Six months
JaRco Consulting PLC is an international development consulting firm based in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia. JaRco offers high-quality qualitative and quantitative research services to leading international donors and partner agencies with the overarching mission of ensuring that programs aimed at improving the lives of the most vulnerable groups around the world are of the highest quality and meet the needs of the beneficiaries for whom they are planned.
JaRco provides targeted technical assistance to multilateral and bilateral donor agencies, NGOs, governments, universities, and think-tanks in the areas of monitoring and evaluation, health and nutrition, health systems strengthening, food security and livelihoods, institutional development, environment, and gender. JaRco’s primary areas of technical expertise include: large-scale baseline/endline surveys; data validation; qualitative and quantitative project assessments and midterm/final evaluations; designing M&E systems for integrated and sector-specific projects; training and capacity building; and strategic planning. For more information please visit www.jarrco.info.
JaRco is seeking three Interns to join the company for a period of six months. The Interns will offer general support to the Director, Program Director, Program Development Manager, IDEAS Country Director, and Technical Experts in the design, development, and implementation of quantitative and qualitative studies and evaluations.
One Intern will work in the Programs team, one Intern will work with the Program Development team, and one intern will work on the IDEAS project. The respective main duties and activities are outlined in more detail below. All interns will travel to the field at least once during their internship.
Program Intern (one position)
Reporting to: Program Director
Main Duties and Activities:
- Supporting the designing and finalizing of quantitative and qualitative research tools (e.g. household questionnaires, focus group discussion guides);
- Supporting the review of M&E frameworks, key performance indicators, and project targets;
- Supporting the writing and editing of inception, mid-term, progress, and final project reports for clients;
- Supporting the preparation for and coordination of workshops, trainings, and field work activities, including the preparation of field manuals, timelines and implementation schedules, checklists for field work activities and procedures, workshop agendas, and logistical arrangements;
- When appropriate, conducting field visits and participating in field work activities to support data collection, identify adjustments as needed, assess project implementation, and other activities as required;
- Supporting the preparation of notes and other outputs for meetings, workshops, field work activities, et cetera;
- Supporting research of secondary data sources that may be used for sampling or as relevant baseline data for impact evaluations;
- Supporting data entry and analysis; and Supporting the Program Director, Technical Experts, and Assistant Researchers in other project implementation activities as needed.
Program Development Intern (one position)
Reporting to: Program Development Manager
Main Duties and Activities:
- Supporting the writing of technical and financial proposals in response to requests for proposals from potential clients;
- Collaborating with partners in project design and proposal-writing for potential projects;
- Involvement in meetings with clients, inside and outside the office;
- Support the design and review of sampling strategies for data collection;
- Support the preparation and revision of project budgets;
- Strengthening and maintaining networks and databases of potential partners and clients (e.g. research institutes and firms, NGOs, donors, government agencies) and consultants;
- Managing and updating JaRco’s social media platforms and assisting in the maintenance of the company’s website;
- When appropriate, conducting field visits and participating in field work activities to support data collection, identify adjustments as needed, assess project implementation, and other activities as required; and Supporting the Program Development Manager in other activities as needed.
IDEAS Intern (one position)
Reporting to: IDEAS Country Director
Main Duties and Activities:
The Informed Decisions for Actions in Maternal and Newborn Health (IDEAS) project is conducting an endline survey for the Community Based Newborn Care (CBNC) programme on behalf of the Ethiopian Federal Ministry of Health.
The intern will:
- Assist in pre-testing survey tools
- Support the organization of survey training
- Assist in running the training
- Make select visits to the field to supervise data collection
- Communicate with data collectors regularly
- Work closely with the data management team to ensure proper data collection and transfer of data collected on PDA from field to JaRco Assist in data cleaning
Required Credentials and Competencies (all three positions)
- Bachelor’s degree in development studies, economics, public health, gender, or related field;
- Knowledge of M&E frameworks, impact evaluations, and quantitative and qualitative research methods;
- Fluency in written and spoken English;
- Exceptional writing and editing skills in English;
- Ability to manage multiple tasks simultaneously and work independently as well as part of a fast-paced team;
- Proficiency in MS Office (Word, Excel, Powerpoint, et cetera);
- Highly motivated, flexible, self-sufficient worker, able to take on tasks with basic direction and minimal supervision; and
- Strong desire to learn about international development issues and the institutional environment of development practice.
- Master’s degree in development studies, economics, public health, gender, or related field;
- Experience in project planning and implementation;
- Experience in proposal- and report-writing;
- Experience living in a developing country;
- Development-related work experience in NGOs, research institutes, donor agencies, and/or consulting firms;
- Experience using CSPro, SPSS, or other data analysis software;
- Fluency in one or more Ethiopian languages; and
- Demonstrated ability to manage high-level relationships with clients and partner organizations.
The Interns will be provided with a monthly stipend to cover all living expenses and one round-trip ticket to Addis Ababa. JaRco will also assist with visa and work permit applications.
How to apply:
Interested and qualified applicants should send an updated CV and Cover Letter to firstname.lastname@example.org clearly stating a preference for the Program Intern, Program Development Intern, or IDEAS Intern position. The email subject line should read EITHER ‘Program Intern’, ‘Program Development Intern’, or ‘IDEAS Intern’, depending on the position of interest.
Application deadline: Sunday 14th August 2016
JaRco Consulting PLC is an equal opportunity employer committed to building a diverse team of highly committed and motivated staff. JaRco provides equal employment opportunities to all qualified persons regardless of race, sex, religion, national origin, age, sexual orientation, disability, or marital status.