Senior Project Officer, Farmers Training Center Capacitation Project
The Agricultural Transformation Agency (ATA) has been established by the Government of Ethiopia (GoE) to identify and address systemic bottlenecks to Ethiopia’s agricultural development. The Agency does this through problem-solving, implementation support, and capacity building of stakeholders involved in implementation of interventions that address the systemic bottlenecks. The Agency reports to the Ministry of Agriculture and Natural Resources and serves as secretary to the Transformation Council, which is chaired by the Prime Ministe.
The programmatic focus of the Agency responds to a core set of needs identified by the Ministry of Agriculture and the Transformation Council. Within the Agency, issues are divided into four different groups: Production and Productivity which includes Inputs and Crop Protection, Livestock, Research and Extension, Mechanization, Rural Finance & Agro-Processing Value Addition; Agribusiness and Markets including Market Services, Market Infrastructure, Commercial & Contract Farming, Domestic and Export Market Development, and Cooperatives Development; Environmentally Sustainable and Inclusive Agricultural Growthincluding Sustainable Irrigation & Watershed Management, Sustainable Land Management, Gender Equality and Nutrition, Climate Change Adaptation and Mitigation, and Planning and MLE; and Enhanced Implementation Capacity which includes ICT, Private Sector, and Organizational and Human Capacity. Across the programs, the ATA engages public, private and non-governmental stakeholders to support strategic planning, manage and strengthen implementation capacity and test innovative models.
As one of the ATA’s systems areas of focus, the Agricultural Extension Program aims to develop a farmer focused, innovation-led, market driven and efficient extension system that improves the livelihoods of smallholder farmers and contributes to Ethiopia’s agricultural growth by ensuring rapid transfer and continued adoption of relevant technologies and best practices. This will be done by closely aligning extension services with food security demands and market opportunities; and with an efficiently integrated research system. As such, ATA is committed to work towards an Agricultural Extension System that is able to promote agricultural practices and technologies that allow farmers to adapt to changing climate and exert minimum impact on the environment; and support on-farm and off-farm natural resources management practices that protect and rehabilitate the environment and promote low carbon emission.
We have an exceptional team of highly competent employees with a proven track record of success in managing complex activities and achieving transformational results. Our culture is one where talented, dedicated and adaptable individuals are committed to doing their best and exhibit great team work to achieve excellent results.
At ATA, we provide an exceptional platform for people who want to achieve their highest potential and make a meaningful contribution in changing the country’s agricultural sector. We offer rewarding work in a young, fast-paced growing organization with passionate, committed, motivated colleagues and excellent career development and training. We recognize our most valuable assets are our staff and are committed to providing our employees with the tools, training and mentorships necessary to achieve their career goals.
Based on the above background, ATA is looking to recruit a Senior Project Officer (SPO) to work on model Farmers Training Centers (FTC) capacitation pilot project with sub-grantees, Federal and Regional BoAs, various development partners, and other stakeholders mainly to oversee and coordinate the implementation of the project within 5 Regions and 50 FTCs located in 50 different Woredas.
The SPO will work under Research and Extension Program assisting the Director of the Program in implementing model FTCs capacitation and other related extension activities. The applicant is expected to have strong skills and experience in project management, stakeholder management and coordination, desire for improving the lives of small-holder farmers, and a deep familiarity with Ethiopia’s agricultural extension system with particular emphasis to FTC capacity building.
The SPO’s major duties include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Action plan implementation: s/he provides necessary technical assistance & support for effective implementation of the action plan ( including activities, milestones and targets) prepared for this particular project plan in collaboration with other key stakeholders;
- Coordination: s/he ensures the alignment of model FTC capacitation with agro-met project and other ATA initiatives existing within the operational areas;
- Administration: s/he manages budget allocated for this project and technically managing the implementation of model FTC capacitation in collaboration with the Director;
- Resource mobilization: s/he supports and facilitates the provision agreed budget for each sub-grantee per the agreement, clarify for effective utilization of the disbursed money, revise and update quarter and annual budget, facilitate budget payment request to each sub-grantee in consultation with the Director;
- Implementation support: s/he expected to provide implementation support to the sub-grantee based on the defined key tools including capacity building, problem solving and stakeholder coordination; in addition, s/he provides technical assistance related to procurement to expedite the process and ensure the quality of procurement and undertake specific procurements on behalf of the sub-grantee when deemed necessary;
- Receive and review quarterly, bi-annual & annual report: s/he receives and reviews quarterly and bi-annual physical and financial plans submitted by the sub-grantee and disburse the requested fund that complies with the sub-grant;
- Conduct joint quarterly follow up and supervision: s/he coordinates and conducts joint quarterly follow up and supervision in collaboration with Training and Advisory Service Directorate (TASD) of the MoANR, receive, review and compile weekly, monthly, bi-annual and annual submitted by the sub-grantee that detailing activities accomplished, and finance utilized to ensure activities are being executed as planned;
- Monitoring, learning and evaluation: s/he provides necessary support on tracking and reporting of weekly, monthly and quarterly progress updates of the project in accordance with ATA’s online reporting system;
- Remind ATA for the recruitment of independent auditor: s/he request for the recruitment of independent auditor to undertake annual audit of the sub-grant within six months after the end of each Fiscal Year;
- Support other related extension activities: s/he is required to support the Director in implementing other related extension activities; and
- Provides information on utilized budget: In collaboration with ATA-Grantee Team seek information on utilized budget.
- Minimum BSc degree in Agricultural Extension, Rural Development, Agricultural Economics, and/or other relevant field
- At least 6 years of experience for MSc or 8 years for BSc in the field of agricultural extension/Agricultural Economics/Project implementation and/or other related disciplines
- Fluency in writing and speaking English and Amharic and proficiency in English are essential. Knowledge of other Ethiopian languages desired
- Understanding of Ethiopia’s agricultural system with a broad perspective on interactions between public, private and informal actors in the seed system
- Deep understanding of Ethiopia’s agricultural extension system with a broad perspective on how the entire system operates and how the federal, regional-BoA, universities and International Development partners interact and collaborate
- Experience in project management, program design, performance management, stakeholder management, contract management, and MLE systems
- Practical experience in extension implementation, data analysis and write up
- Excellent intra-personal communication and leadership skills.
- Good at planning, budgeting and, implementation and follow up
- Interest and demonstrated ability to work in a multidisciplinary and multi-sector environment.
- Strong team player, highly energetic, self-motivated, goal-oriented and committed to shared goals.
- Excellent adaptive problem-solver in challenging environment
- Strong set of personal values, including integrity, honesty and desire to be of service.
Closing date: Aug 08, 2016