RTI International is one of the world’s leading research institutes, dedicated to improving the human condition by turning knowledge into practice. Our staff of more than 3,700 provides research and technical services to governments and businesses in more than 75 countries in the areas of health and pharmaceuticals, education and training, surveys and statistics, advanced technology, international development, economic and social policy, energy and the environment, and laboratory testing and chemical analysis.
In the international education sector, from our longstanding work in post-apartheid South Africa to innovative work in Early Grade Reading Assessment (EGRA), including recently in Ethiopia, RTI works to improve education quality, relevance, access, and efficiency around the world.
RTI is recruiting for the USAID Ethiopia READ-TA education project, focused on curriculum revision and textbook development. We are looking for proven performance in a variety of areas, with knowledge and experience in implementing evidence-based approaches to instructional improvement. READ TA has 3-cross-cutting themes: gender, inclusive education and technology
The Accountant is responsible for the day to day accounting function of the Project. He/ She will be utilizing the appropriate systems and following proper accounting procedures to disburse, account for, and report usage of funds. This position is a custodian of cash and check. Closely works with Procurement, and the HR Team. Reviews and processes vendors’ payment. Prepares payroll. Reconciles bank, tax, pension, provident fund and withholding on monthly bases. He/ She also provides support to the Finance Manager in closing of accounts and in monthly reporting requirements set by RTI.
- Prepare payment vouchers in support of payments for project activities and suppliers invoices and ensure that such payments are in accordance with the laid down procedures and policies, accurate, complete, adequately supported by all underlying appropriate documents, correctly coded to appropriate expenses and tracking code and project code.
- Process checks to suppliers and employees.
- Keep track of expenses and other financial transactions, mainly involving expense entry, tracking and record keeping.
- Prepare monthly payroll in accordance with underlying procedures and documentation requirement and process staff salary and PF to the Bank prior to the end of the month.
- Reconcile and prepare monthly withholding liability and process for timely payment to the Ethiopian Revenue and Customs Authority.
- Design and maintain spreadsheet database to track staff provident contributions and prepare monthly report for review.
- Prepare bank reconciliation for bank accounts operated by READ TA (Current, Saving and Provident Fund).
- Make payments to workshop participants (including travel and meals refunds), consultant and professional fees as designated by the supervisor.
- Maintain custody of the office cash, handle all matters related to day to day petty cash management which including preparation of cash vouchers for reimbursement, making payments to recipients, preparing summaries and reconciliations for replenishment of the petty cash fund.
- Prepare journal vouchers or adjusting entries for necessary reviews and approvals.
- Provide support to the Finance Manager in compiling and submission of the monthly financial reports package.
- Address and prepare timely responses on monthly financial reporting compliance issues raised by the Regional Office/Compliance team.
- Maintain READ TA Fixed Asset register, conduct annual counts and prepare reconciled report.
- In collaboration with the Logistics Specialist, support collection and filing for logistics (accommodations, transport, vehicles) invoices, receipts and payments.
- In collaboration with the Finance Manager support collection and filing of all cash and bank vouchers, maintaining voucher filing system such that files are updated, complete and safeguarded.
- Perform other tasks as assigned by supervisor
Qualifications and Experience
- Master’s or Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting & Finance/Commerce.
- Minimum 1 year for Master’s or 3 years of working experience for Bachelor’s in accounting and/or financial field.
- Experience of working with USAID project preferable.
Skills and Abilities
- Excellent knowledge of software like Quick Book, MS Word, Outlook, PowerPoint, Excel
- Ability to multi-task & work well with others.
- Ability to listen and communicate well both verbally and in writing
- Ability to work independently
- Attention to detail and accuracy
- Ability to obtain proper security clearances as noted by contracts.
RTI invites eligible candidates to indicate their interest in the position no later than August 3
, 2016. Females are strongly encouraged to apply. Applications should consist of cover letter, detailed curriculum vitae, all credentials along with a SALARY PROOOF SHOWING CURRENT EARNING and 3 professional references, the person’s telephone number and an email address.